Clear Lens Extraction or CLE, is a surgical procedure that can reduce or eliminate the need for glasses or contact lenses for patients over 40, and can potentially correct both nearsightedness and farsightedness. Unlike other refractive procedures that change the shape of the cornea, CLE corrects vision by replacing the eye’s natural, crystalline lens with an intraocular lens (IOL).
Clear Lens Exchange Is For Those Who:
- Are over 40
- Want to reduce or eliminate their dependence on glasses or contact lenses
- Are both very nearsighted or farsighted with early cataract formation
- Very nearsighted or farsighted
- Want to treat presbyopia with a multifocal implant
- Are looking for an alternative to LASIK
What To Expect On Surgery Day
Clear lens extraction is performed on an outpatient basis, meaning you can go home on the same day. Upon arrival for your surgery, you will be given a local anesthetic to numb your eye during the procedure. You should not feel any pain or discomfort during this surgery. Similar to cataract surgery, your surgeon will replace your natural crystalline lens with a lifestyle intraocular lens. This lens will allow you to see the object at near, far and intermediate distances. If you do not currently have cataracts, you will never develop them after CLE. Read more about your lifestyle lens options.